Order fulfillment is the process of taking customer orders and picking, packing and shipping products to fulfill them. This description makes it sound simple, but it’s actually a complex process involving a lot of people, resources, recordkeeping and transportation. Luckily, there’s a way to simplify order fulfillment and consistently do it well: order fulfillment software.
Order Fulfillment Challenges
One of the biggest potential problems of order fulfillment is human error. Even the most accurate typist makes typos every now and then, and those errors can accidentally lead to a number of negative consequences: shipping the wrong product, shipping too many or too few products, or shipping to the wrong location.
Another challenge is that it can take a lot of time to fill orders. There are many steps from the moment a sales order is received to the moment the customer gets the product in his hands. You have to:
– Make sure you have the right products in stock.
– Locate those products in your warehouse.
– Pick products off the shelf and pack them.
– Get packing labels and invoices.
– Contact a courier and get the package out the door as fast as possible.
Whew! That’s a tall order.
Order Fulfillment Solutions
The solution to the problem of human error is to remove the possibility of making typos. Instead of employees typing order information into a computer, they can use a wireless mobile device to simply scan a product barcode and automatically input all the information they need to fill the order. This eliminates the possibility of typos creeping into the order data.
To cut the amount of time it takes to fulfill orders, you can use order fulfillment software. It helps you:
– Reorder products when they get low so you always have enough in stock.
– Immediately locate products in a warehouse with a map and product image.
– Quickly pick and pack products in an appropriate container.
– Automatically print your own packing labels and invoices.
– Ship packages out efficiently, and even track their progress.
Order fulfillment doesn’t have to be such a tall order if you use order fulfillment software. It can ease your burdens, make you more efficient and even improve your customer service dramatically. Start thinking outside the box!